Communication is Key

Communication Between Certified Massage Therapist and Their Client
Massage therapy is as much about verbal communication as it is about physical communication. Yet few people realize how essential verbal communication is. Open dialog between the client and therapist can make all the difference in a session.

Every time I meet a new client I spend at least five to 10 minutes discussing the reason they have come to see me, the character and onset of their pain, their background - whether they are an athlete or work long hours at the office - what kind of medicine or treatment they have tried, and other questions to help me assess each patient's individual needs. This is known as the H. O. P. S. assessment, where H stands for history, O stands for observation, P stands for palpation, and S stands for special tests (if needed). S can also stand for strength (of a muscle) or sensation (pins and needles)

This process is key to understanding the client's pain, stress or illness, which then unlocks the answer to relief. It goes beyond having the client simply fill out the intake form (although every client must do this) and getting to know the individual's unique symptoms, history and concerns.

This communication process depends on the therapist as much as the client. A good certified massage therapist knows what questions to ask, and how to spot questions that could lead to answers.

Although every person who walks into my clinic is different, there are several questions that I always make sure to ask:

  • Where is the pain?
  • What kind of pain? (muscular ache vs. nerve pain, dull vs. tingling etc.)
  • On a scale of 1 (least) to 10 (worst) what is your level of pain?
  • What makes the pain worse?
  • What makes the pain better?

I also ask my clients whether this is the first time they've ever had a massage. Some people coming in have no idea what to expect. Others have done only "spa" massages or a basic neck massage at the airport. It's important to know where each client is coming from and encourage them to ask questions to let them know how the session will proceed.

Depending on what the client wants - whether it's Swedish Massage or Trigger Point Therapy -- the therapist's questions will vary. But the therapist should always be asking.

Once the massage has begun, some people prefer silence. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if you're here purely for relaxation. But if you've come in for a specific problem -- say a pulled neck muscle or arthritic hips -- it's very important to communicate with your therapist, letting him know what areas hurt, if too much or too little pressure is being applied, and how the session is going.

The massage therapist should also communicate occasionally by checking in with you to see how you're feeling, Is the pain is subsiding or which areas they should focus on. After all, communication is a two-way street.

As I've discussed before, there is an intimate connection between the mind and the body. Often what is on one's mind speaks directly through the body. And this is why it's so important to share - because sometimes we ourselves don't know what the source of the problem is until we start communicating with it.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a client come in with neck pain, only to realize that the source of the pain is in her lower back. Or someone who comes in feeling "stressed to the max" and all it takes is a little bit of CranioSacral Massage to get the central nervous system calm again.

The body can be a mystery, and unlocking that mystery requires open communication. Once I know where your pain is and the nature of it, I can often map out the source with my hands, which leads to relief and healing. This process is almost guaranteed when the client is open and communicative.

I understand that open communication depends on trust. That is why I put time and thoughtful consideration into getting to know each of my clients. The more comfortable a client is with my approach, technique, and personality, the easier it is to communicate the nuances of his symptoms or open up about emotional stresses that may be the answer to his pain. Once I have the clues, I can find the answers.

In the end, open communication is a win-win situation that results in the clients learning more about themselves, their pain and the body's potential to heal.  I learn from each client as well, allowing me to develop my understanding of the body, refine my technique and grow as a professional massage therapist. For that, I thank each of you.

Yours in Good Health,
Eugene Wood
Licensed Massage Therapist

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Common Misconceptions About Massage

10 Things You Didn't Know About Massage Therapy

The History of Massage Therapy